San Antonio QDROs Divorce Lawyer

One of the advantages of hiring an experienced attorney to handle your divorce is that you will have someone to guide you through what can seem like the mountains of paperwork that must be reviewed, signed and filed. If you and/or your spouse has retirement accounts subject to division during your divorce, having qualified legal counsel to help you sort through issues of asset division will be even more beneficial.

I am attorney Mark C. Thompson, and I help clients who have saved through individual retirement accounts (IRAs), 401(k) plans and employer pensions sort through the legal issues surrounding how these assets will be treated in a divorce. Because dividing retirement benefits affects my clients for the long term, I treat these cases with the skill and attention to detail that they deserve.

Qualified Domestic Relations Orders Attorney

Dividing the funds from a retirement plan requires establishing a qualified domestic relations order, or QDRO. These are necessary to legally establish the rights of the person who will be receiving part of his or her spouse's retirement benefits. A QDRO is first submitted to the plan administrator of a pension, IRA or 401(k) and, once approved, submitted to a court for final approval.

As with most areas of divorce in Texas, careful, thorough preparation and execution of paperwork are essential to ensure that QDROs are approved with minimal delay and stress. I handle all aspects of the process, making sure that the procedural requirements are met and that my clients will not encounter difficulties regarding a QDRO in the months and years to come.

Under a QDRO, retirement benefits are sometimes, but not always, split evenly between spouses. Special circumstances in your case will determine how much you or your spouse receives, which is why it is important to have an experienced lawyer oversee this component of your divorce.

Contact Me For An Initial Consultation

Get answers to your initial questions by contacting me, San Antonio QDROs divorce lawyer Mark C. Thompson, for an initial consultation at my downtown office. Email me or call 210-775-1140 (toll free 888-548-1421).