Smart. Honest. Experienced. Reliable.

Answers To Your Custody Relocation Questions

Last updated on April 2, 2021

Perhaps you or your ex-spouse has taken a new job and needs to move with your child out of the San Antonio area or out of Texas entirely. Or your ex-spouse is attempting to move to prevent you from seeing your children.

In child relocation cases, it is especially important to have an experienced lawyer in your corner to defend your parental rights when seeking to relocate with your children or prevent your ex-spouse from depriving you of seeing your children. I am attorney Mark C. Thompson, and in my family law practice, I have helped many clients make sure that they can maintain their most important rights: their parental rights.

When one parent relocates, it may be necessary to modify the prior possession schedule or to modify the order to include provisions for sharing travel expenses or to grant the noncustodial parent regularly scheduled webcam visits and/or phone calls so he or she can stay in touch with the children.

Just because your child lives in another city, state or country does not mean that you do not have a right to visit and stay informed and to be involved in your child’s life.

Whether you seek to move with your children or want to keep them in the San Antonio area, having a qualified lawyer represent you can mean getting a positive outcome with minimal stress and effect on your children’s well-being. Call my San Antonio office at 210-775-1140.

Understanding Texas Child Custody Law

When a court finalizes a child custody order following a divorce, the judge will usually limit where the custodial parent is allowed to live. For example, if you live in Bexar County and are given primary custody of your children, you are most likely limited to moving within Bexar County or any of the adjacent counties without seeking a judge’s approval. If you need to move outside of the area or out of state, you would need a judge’s permission to do so.

Relocation issues are common when one or both parents are in the military or have other jobs that require them to move frequently. My goal in these cases is to achieve my clients’ goals while also protecting the interests of their children. I seek amicable resolutions whenever possible, but will always be assertive in court when my clients’ rights are on the line.

Contact Me For An Initial Consultation

Get answers to your initial questions by contacting me, San Antonio custody relocation lawyer Mark C. Thompson, for an initial consultation at my downtown office. Email me or call 210-775-1140.